Saturday, September 4, 2010

Snoqualmie, WA

Got into town today at noon and am feeling great! so many wonderful sites in Washington already! I was astounded at the amount of wildlife I have seen up here. to date I have seen; rattle snakes, pika, mountain goat, elk, marmot and various amphibians and birds. Washington is definitely wetter than the previous two states but the clouds have made for dramatic photos.

I got heatstroke yesterday (it wasnt very hot) because I didnt drink enough water. I hiked 16 miles by lunch and ate a large meal while only drinking about one liter of H2O. The next section of trail was uphill in the sun and my body didnt take to kindly to me barreling up the mountain so I promptly got nauseous and dizzy. I through off my pack and laid down in the shade. 2 hikers came along, Uber bitch and Bristle cone, and made sure I drank water and was OK. then we proceeded very slowly up the hill, eating huckleberry's as we went, it was a very pleasant end of the day. I left them at the weather station they were planning on camping at and walked into dusk, to try and catch up to Shroomer and Wolf Taffy.

Dusk is the time to see many animals! I was startled by 2 elk in the middle of the trail, who when they noticed my presence crashed in opposite directions. Their shoulders were taller than me! later I ended up scaring 3 deer as well. the sunset was beautiful and I found my way to the dry creek where the boys had made camp. I thought Washington was going to be boring but so far it has been just as lively as the rest.





Here are some photos from Washington so far:
so good to be in the LAST state!

Cantrell for dinner

I dont know what kind of hawk

Mt. Adams shrouded

clouds coming in for the kill

I love the clouds

Starting the Goat Rocks wilderness

snow in August anyone?

the trail fallows this ridge for miles, it was great!

sudden sun rise in the trees
a Pika!


Mt. Rainer
big Hawk that I dont know what is it.

the view into Snoqualmie, Wa

1 comment:

  1. Oh no, heat stroke! :( That's not good. I'm glad that those two came along and you're OK. (Water is your friend). Your photos are awesome, per the usual. Beautiful landscapes, and I love the pika. Those little guys are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete